to froth milk
If you’d like to relive the traditional barista’s rituals at home and be the protagonist of your espresso, a manual machine is the best choice. Learning how to make an impeccable espresso requires care and practice, but it is definitely worth it. Thanks to the pannarello, you can also prepare creamy cappuccinos and experiment the “latte art” easily, as well as dispense water for teas and infusions. In this way, you will have a personal “coffee corner” at your home. If you prefer to obtain excellent results in a fast way, a superautomatic machine is what suits you the best. Just by pressing a button, it makes espresso, cappuccino and other hot beverages that can be customized as you prefer in a few easy steps. Moreover, the integrated grinder lets you have freshly ground coffee at every use.
The Gaggia manual espresso machines offer the possibility to use paper pods. To get a good in-cup result, it is fundamental to follow the procedure illustrated in the instruction booklet. Be sure to use the correct filter (traditional filter for 1 cup) and standard pods (44mm).
1. Choose the coffee blend you like the most and be sure that it is a high-quality selection.
2. If you decide to use coffee beans, grind them at the right size: not too coarse (or water will flow too fast) and not too fine (or water will not flow). If you use pre-ground coffee, please make sure the granulometry is for espresso
3. Insert the “crema perfetta” filter for 1 cup of ground coffee in the filter-holder. If you want to make 2 espresso, use the filter for 2 cups.
4. For a single espresso, put one (or one and a half) spoon of ground coffee, using the ground coffee measuring spoon. For 2 cups, use 2 spoons.
5. Slightly press with the opposite part of the ground coffee measuring spoon.
6. Remove any coffee residues from the edges of the filter-holder
7. Lock the filter-holder so that the small triangle on it and the small triangle on the machine are aligned. This is the only correct position.
8. Press the coffee button to start the brewing process
9. Place one or two cups on the drip tray
10. When you get the desired in-cup quantity, press the button once again to
stop the brewing process!
To get the best result using a coffee paper pod, it is fundamental to follow the instruction booklet step by step. Every coffee pod is different, so make sure to choose quality ones, and the ones that suit your tastes the most.
Once the machine is ready:
- Insert the correct filter for pods in the filter-holder
- Put the pod inside it
- Place the POD SYSTEM on the pod so it adheres perfectly
- Lock the filter-holder to the machine so the two small triangles (on the filter-holder and on the machine) are aligned.
- Click on the “espresso” button to brew your espresso.
- Once you’ve reached the desired quantity, click on the espresso button to stop the brewing. Enjoy!
We suggest to use whole cold milk (at circa 5° C / 41° F), with a protein content of at least 3% and a fat content of at least 3.5%. Proteins will incorporate air in the cream, while fats will make it dense and steady. Also semi-skimmed cow milk, some lactose-free milk and soy drink are proven to deliver a good result.
1. Place a cup under the pannarello
2. Press the steam button. When the light is steady, the machine is ready to dispense steam.
3. Turn the steam/hot water knob slightly counter-clockwise to eliminate any condensation from the pannarello 4. close the knob again and remove the cup.
5. Place a jug, filled for 1/3 with cold milk, under the pannarello
6. Turn the steam dispensing knob counter-clockwise to let the steam come out. Move the jug slowly, up and down, to heat the milk evenly, and turn the knob clockwise.
7. Once the desired frothing has been achieved, close the steam knob by turning it clockwise to stop dispensing steam, and remove the jug.
8. Press the steam button
For more details, please follow the procedure in the instruction booklet
Yes, you can use mineral still water or tap water. It is important not to use sparkling water as it can negatively affect the brewing process.
Before you use your Manual Espresso machine for the first time or in case the internal circuit has run out of water, you need to flush/prime the machine with fresh water. Follow these instructions:
- Rinse and fill the water tank.
- Insert the plug to turn the machine on.
- Place a container, a cup or a jug under the pannarello (steamer).
- Rotate the knob on the side by turning it counter-clockwise. A water stream will come out the pannarello.
- Once you see a fluid water stream coming out, stop it by turning the knob clockwise.
- The machine is now ready to be used!
Filters must be kept clean to guarantee an every day perfect result. If you notice a malfunction when brewing coffee, immerse the filters in boiling water for 10 minutes and then rinse them with running water. For a more thorough cleaning, use the Gaggia oil remover tablets.
Scale is a normal consequence of using the machine, and it depends also on the quality of the water you use. We suggest to descale the machine every 2 months and/or whenever you notice a reduction in the water flow. We suggest to follow the step-by-step procedure illustrated in the instruction booklet and to only use the Gaggia descaler that is especially thought especially for our espresso machines.